Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is considered during the analysis process?
2. When is the application due?
3. What is the cost for FACS to process the analysis?
4. Am I able to download a PDF copy of the application?
5. What if I don't have my current tax information available to fill out the form?
6. What if my Notice of Assessment has not arrived?
7. What if I don't know the taxes I paid, or might owe?
8. What if I live outside of Canada?
9. What business information needs to be enclosed?
10. What if I am separated or divorced from the applicant's father/mother?
11. What is included in Cost of Education?
12. What if my circumstances change after I apply?
13. Can I change the information submitted on a previous application?
- Each school sets their own deadlines on when returning families and new applicants are to apply.
- Please check either on the school's website, or with their administrative office if in doubt.
- The online fee is $115.00 for the first school you list and $15.00 for each additional one. This fee includes HST and is non-refundable. The cost for an additional application, in the case of separated/divorced families is $40.00. An application can be processed only for schools that are members of FACS.
- After submitting an application should you require a copy to be provided to another school, please send us an email giving permission to send the original application to another school, and call in with a credit card number to which the additional $25.00 may be charged.
- If your T4 has not yet been received, use the information on your last paycheque to calculate your earnings for the whole year. This can also be used for amounts being deducted for pension plans, union dues, etc. * Enclose both a copy of this pay statement, and the prior year's T4.
- Medical expenses, donations, etc. use your best estimates.
- If you are self-employed and have not yet prepared your Statement of Business Activities, enclose a copy of the last year's tax statement that was filed, and using this as a base, estimate your revenues and expenses for the current and projected year.
- Depending on when you file your taxes, you may not yet have received your Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment. If you cannot access your Notice of Assessment online through the Revenue Canada site, please enclose last year's notice and send us this year's notice upon receipt.
- If you have not completed your tax return for the past year, and you are a Canadian Resident, you can leave Section 12 blank for both the past year and your projected income for current year and we will be able to estimate your taxes.
- If you reside outside of Canada, and do pay taxes, provide your best estimate
- If you live outside of Canada, then you will be required to provide supporting tax information relevant to the country that you file or pay your taxes to. In the event, that you do not live in a taxing jurisdiction, then suitable third party documentation will be required to substantiate your income or assets, such as bank/investment accounts information or letters from employers, etc..
- If you are self employed, provide the latest copy of the Statement of Business Activities that is to be, or was, filed with your tax return.
- If you own a business, enclose the latest set of financial statements that have been prepared. Do not send your Corporate tax returns.
- Regardless with whom the student lives, if both parents are involved with the student, they both need to fill out a complete form, whether they are supporting his/her fees or not.
- When completing the application, in section 6b) on the on line application, both family members should note the other parent’s email address that was/will be used to create their profile. This will result in a lower application fee for the second application.
- Do not combine information for two separate households on one form.
- Information provided will not be shared with the other parent.
- If there is no contact with the student's other parent, provide whatever information you have available.
- Cost of education includes all costs related to having the student at the school.
- technology fees (if charged)
- books if not included
- travel to and from the school if you are a boarder
- the one time new student registration fee
- if applicable
- team activity costs -> i.e. hockey team, etc.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will not be able to make any changes to the application. If you wish to revise your application, or if circumstances have changed, please notify us by email of the changes or new estimates.
- Feel free to enclose additional details that you think might be relevant to your application.
- If information first submitted on your PFS has changed, please notify us in writing, describing the changes and provide any new dollar amounts.
- Depending on the magnitude of the changes, an adjusted report will be sent to those schools you had named to receive reports.
If you are in doubt about whether you have filled out the form correctly, you may enclose copies of statements (Bank, Investment, RRSP or Credit Card), for our review, however this is not necessary.